Tuesday, May 28, 2013
BBQ Shredded Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients for BBQ shredded chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 teaspoon grill seasoning
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
14. 5 oz. diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon Worchestshire sauce
For everything else:
8 clean-scrubbed white sweet potatoes
Pam cooking spray
dash of salt per sweet potato
1 cup shredded colby/jack cheese
1 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
dash salt & black pepper
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
fresh off cobb or frozen sweet yellow corn
1. Mix together all ingredients for BBQ shredded chicken, except the raw chicken. Pour BBQ sauce into crock pot, add chicken breasts and slow cook for 6-8 hours on low setting.
2. Stir together the Greek yogurt, salt & pepper, chopped green onions and chopped cilantro. Chill.
3. With about 2 hours to go on the BBQ chicken, scrub and clean sweet potatoes. Coat lightly with cooking spray and dash of salt. Wrap in foil and place in heated 375 degree oven to bake for 1.5 hours.
4. When the chicken is finished, remove from crock pot and shred with a fork, and stir back into BBQ sauce.
5. Once sweet potatoes are baked, slice open in the center, fluff with fork, and stuff with BBQ shredded chicken, Greek yogurt concoction, shredded cheese and sweet corn.
NOTE: I also gave an option of making this a BBQ shredded chicken sandwich and sweet potato meal by providing whole wheat hoagie rolls, baby greens, and fresh pineapple.