Thursday, March 3, 2011

BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders

Ingredients:

32 oz. Old South bar-be-que sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1-1.5 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6-8 slider mini buns
6-8 slices pineapple
8 oz. fresh, raw spinach leaves


Preparation:

Combine bar-be-que sauce, ketchup and pineapple juice in crock pot.  Add the chicken and slow cook at 250-300 degrees for 7-9 hours.  

When bar-be-que chicken is done, turn off crock pot.  Remove chicken from the crock pot and shred it on a cutting board.  Place the chicken back into the bar-be-que sauce until ready to eat.

Prepare mini buns by slicing in half and toasting.  Spoon 1/4 cup of pulled chicken on bottom mini bun.  Layer fresh spinach and pineapple on top of chicken, place other mini bun on top.  Gobble!

Disclaimer:  I got the idea for these sliders from my Cooking Light magazine.  The recipe in the magazine called for a quick-cooking stove top method with a homemade bbq sauce.  I wanted to use the slow cooker and my favorite bbq sauce, Old South - but my husband accidentally bought the "spicy" version. Knowing I was cooking for my two pregnant friends,  I added some ketchup and pineapple juice, hoping to tone down the spice factor.  However, these little sliders packed a punch!  I loved them, but if you don't like spicy food - purchase your favorite milder bbq sauce or make one.  As you can tell from the picture, I made a side dish of chipotle black beans and organic tortilla chips.  Check out the chipotle black bean recipe too.

1 comment:

  1. Soooo yummy! I think the pineapple and spinach were great additions. Spice definitely had a kick, but I think with a regular spice-level of BBQ sauce would be very family friendly. Fun way to change it up! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete