Monday, March 14, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza

 Ingredients

  • 1  14 inch pizza crust * I actually got a 14 inch pizza crust from a local pizzeria.  Not a huge fan of Boboli, but you could use that or your favorite pizza crust recipe.
  • 1+  cup  tomato chutney *see recipe below
  • 3  cups  chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast - I used a rotisserie chicken.
  • 1  cup  diced plum tomato
  • 2 heaping cups shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
  • 1/3  cup  chopped green onions

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450°.
  2. Place crust on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 3 minutes. Remove from oven; spread chutney over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
  3. Top chutney with chicken. Sprinkle diced tomato, cheese, and green onions evenly over chicken. Bake at 450° for about 12-15 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is desired crispiness (may depend on the thickness of your crust, probably less than 10 minutes for a Boboli crust). Cut pizza into wedges.
Note: If you can't find tomato chutney, make your own. Combine 2 cups diced plum tomato, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon Jamaicañ jerk seasoning, and 1 minced garlic clove in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 30 minutes or until thickened.  This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light.

Well, this was a learning process!  Many reviewers of the recipe raved about the tomato chutney recipe which I went ahead and made.  It was really good and had a nice contrast of flavor with the extra sharp cheddar cheese... but, I would say that if you're in a time crunch and looking for a quicker alternative, your favorite BBQ would also work great.  You could also do a variety of sauce/topping options and let people in your house make their own pizza.  For dinner club, it ended up being a little challenging to deliver.  I got pizza boxes from Fat Daddy's pizza (thank you!) and delivered the crust that way - also wrapped in saran wrap.  After making our pizza as my test case, it was clear that I should not try to top the pizzas prior to delivery and should just include ingredients for families to assemble themselves.  This would also keep the dough from getting soggy if they decided not to cook/eat right away.  I will definitely go with this idea again, but not 100% sure I would take the time to make the tomato chutney again.  Fun for kiddos to help make the pizza - Emma loved that!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED the chutney! It actually pulled the whole bbq pizza together for me, and even though a person could use a bottled bbq sauce instead, I would rather not :o). Deeeelicious dinner, Jess - thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Nat. I thought the chutney was the best part. It added awesome flavor to the pizza! Yum!

    ReplyDelete