- 1 pkg sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced thin
- 1 green pepper sliced thin
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- Saute onions for 10 minutes in a small amount of butter or olive oil. Then add in mushrooms and green pepper for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Heat beef consomme and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat to make a rich beef broth. Place the roast beef in the broth and warm for 3 minutes.
- Slice hoagie rolls and place face up under the broiler until lightly toasted.
- Arrange the meat and veggies on the hoagie rolls and top each roll with 2 slices of provolone.
- Turn the temperature down or lower rack and broil sandwiches just until the cheese just begins to melt. Serve the sandwiches with small bowls of the warm broth for dipping. Serves 4.