Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Veggie Bath Time

It's weekly tubby time at my house on Sundays. I swear it's not the only day we bathe, but it is the day I wash, dry, and package up all the fruits and veggies for the week.

As many of you know, I am a teacher. I make meeeeeelions and meeeeelions of dollars teaching the future leaders of America. (Sarcasm font inserted here). Seriously, I just got an email last week from Mrs. Leena El Amin who has a project for me worth 7.5 million pounds. YES! It's my lucky break - FINALLY!

So with my loads and loads of money, I struggle with shopping and buying organic. Obviously, organic/food co-op/homegrown is the way to go - but since I am trying to eat fresh (which is expensive anyway), buying everything organic is unrealistic. I try to prioritize, but one of my "tricks" is to wash everything in a cold water-vinegar bath. I fill up my sink 1/2 to 3/4 full depending on how many fruits and veggies, and dump about 4 c of white vinegar. Dump in all kinds of veggies and fruits (even works with berries and lettuce). Let soak for about 15 minutes, rinse and dry well.



This soak helps remove pesticides and bacteria. If you look at the leftover water, well don't, cause it will kind of make your stomach turn. Or maybe you should... to motivate you to do it every. single. time.



After I do this, I put everything in baggies and containers for the week. I'm floored at how much longer everything lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment